Friday, May 4, 2007

Brunch at Bizou

For more then one special occasion I’ve gone to Café Bizou in Sherman Oaks usually for a quaint lunch or dinner. This past Saturday I found myself taking part in their brunch menu, a new experience for me.

The menu consisted of a nice looking selection of breakfast items like eggs benedict, and an assortment of salads, sandwiches, and entrees that will also appear later in the day as lunch or dinner options. I settled on the "grilled salmon salad with papaya, grilled red onion and passion fruit dressing." ($10.95)

When the salad arrived I was happy to see the amount of salmon they provided me. On my last visit I had the "grilled ahi tuna salad" which was a bit light on the tuna. This one however was salmon plentiful. Odd however were the slices of papaya and red onion, which tasted fine but didn’t seem ready-made for this salad. The papaya and pile of onions needed to be chopped up instead of just tossed on top. This was probably one of the first salads where I felt like I needed a knife to properly eat it like a salad.

The dressing was another area of contention for me. Described as “passion fruit” I couldn’t taste any such fruit whatsoever. Instead I was affronted with the overpowering sour and acidic taste of what seemed like limes. This was just bad and ended up being inedible. I requested balsamic and pushed this passionless dressing off to the side.

Brunch at Café Bizou was not a good experience for me, which is sad considering I’ve had such a nice time during their other meals of the day. If I ever do find myself back there for brunch in the future, I’ll just stick to the entrees that I’ve already had and enjoyed. Like the "sautéed sandabs," the "roasted chicken breast," or the "roast pork tenderloin."
-----
Café Bizou
14016 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
(818) 788-3536

No comments: